Saturday, January 12, 2008

Thumbs down ok, too

Over at PBS Teachers, Andy Carvin mentioned this blog and suggested that I let people say what they don't like about the social Web, too. Well, sure! Far be it for me to set up a barrier to participation if my visitors don't like anything about the fixed and mobile user- and youth-driven Web. I do think, though, that - where youth is concerned - the public discussion about Web 2.0 has been weighted more on the negative side. I've been traveling in Europe for a few months now, and when I talk to people about this Web and related technologies, there's a better balance, I think. There hasn't been a predator panic over here. And people have been working through what to do about cyberbullying much longer than we in the US have. Feel free to disagree (I'd love to hear from people across the Pond too here), but I think a better balance needs to be struck in our country. I do try to cover both the positives and the negatives in my regular blog, NetFamilyNews.org.

Anyway, let's have fun with this - Top Five, Bottom Five, it's all good. Please post your thinking! All best,
Anne

No comments: