Tuesday, January 15, 2008

'The good, the bad, and the ugly' - Linda Criddle

Linda Criddle, author of Look Both Ways, sent me her Top 10 (good and bad things) on the social Web. She also put them in her blog, so I'll post her Top 5 here:

  1. I like the ability the Web gives everyone, not just the ‘geeks’, to easily create content and share their thoughts and ideas.

    I don’t like that it can be difficult for people to discern what is factual vs. opinion vs. idiocy vs. deliberate misrepresentation.

  2. I like the interactive nature of the Web that allows and encourages dialog.

    I don’t like to see attack comments by people too cowardly and ashamed of their own actions to leave their names, or when ignorance tries to shout so loudly that meaningful discussion is drowned out. Leaving anonymous comments is fine if they are constructive and respectful; if you want to sling mud, allow others to return the favor.

  3. I like having so much information at my fingertips 24 hours a day.

    I don’t like having to sift through the trash to find it.
  4. I like the opportunity to access the Internet from a variety of devices and be constantly connected.

    I don’t like always being reachable – though this is something I control, I confess to not always being particularly good at shutting ‘off’.

  5. I like the ability to set up information feeds on topics I care about and have information automatically flow to me.

    I can’t stand the bombardment of information I don’t want (spam) through every conceivable format.

No comments: